Monday, April 03, 2006

Metacab Jr. Primer & CP layout Completed

This weekend I found the time to layout & drill the control panel! I quickly noted that there really just wasn't enough room to fit a trackball *and* spinner *and* joystick *and* three buttons. Instead I dropped the trackball and have a much stronger layout, in my opinion. Since MetaCab Jr. is a vertical-cabinet, I'm thinking I'd prefer the spinner to the trackball anyways given all the great arkanoid-style games and the games that can use a spinner with joystick.


As you can see in the layout, I'll have two buttons in top-left (pause, quit), two buttons in the top-right (P1/P2), joystick, 3 action buttons, and spinner in the center, and then two more buttons (Coin1/Coin2) on the front face. I may still add two buttons to the sides if I find any pinball games that work well in vert mode; I'm probably going to hold off on that idea until I get to MetaCab Sr.

As you may have also noticed, I had the time to apply a whole can of Kilz primer to the entire cabinet. I used a nice little 2" sponge roller which did a great job of applying the paint evenly without runs or brush strokes. The only areas that haven't been nicely whited out are the regions people probably won't see anyways (e.g. behind the monitor bezel, the back, the top). I'll be applying a couple layers of black as soon as I get some new roller heads - the ones I bought to refill the 2" roller I have were totally too loose and fell right off the handle!? So yeah - black up the middle (around the marquee, monitor, front panel, etc. And then some brown with vintage orange stripes for the side art.


I'll be ordering my marquee and control panel overlay from these folks at Mame Marquees. Kira is already on my side for doing that, so that's cool (it would be cheaper but far far far more tedious to try to create these through traditional media rather than digital prints). Plus i'm hoping the CP prints are going to be very durable since they're made for just that. Obviously I'll be designing my own art and not picking any of their stock designs.

No comments: