Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Doc's Modular MAME Concept - modular control panels

Oh man, Just when I thought I had my new Metacab CP design figured out, I stumbled across this sweet modular approach to CP design. While it's less polished than what I was originally picturing doing (there will be seams), you can literally re-organize the entire panel with no tools and some simple plugging in/out of RJ45 jacks. This means you can totally mimic original layouts in many cases with no excess controls and no extensions beyond the width of the cabinet.



I also really like the idea of the utility buttons on the vertical side just below the monitor - this really means the side wings I pictured having on either side of the notches would be irrelevant/unnecessary.

The other reason this seems particularly appealing is that it didn't sound completely trivial to get dual spinners and dual trackballs working so this lets me slack on that indefinitely since the modular design allows you to add panels as needed with no commitment to lock on a single layout right now.

No comments: